Cauliflower that eats like meat... Yeah, that's it. Cauliflower T-bones are a regular featured item at one of my favorite restaurants, Superba Snack Bar in Venice by the brilliant Jason Neroni. This is my version of it, and I'm sharing it with you.... Have you ever noticed the cross-section of cauliflower? If cut straight down, it kind of looks like a steak. Just steam til tender, pan fry, and top with a tasty topping. I made the process easier by steaming the cauliflower in the microwave and using tapenade as the base for the sauce. I like shortcuts when they work well. I realized I forgot to top this with some Parmesan cheese. Either way, it's delicious and easy to make.
Cauliflower T-Bone Steaks with Olive, Lemon, and Parsley
- Cauliflower, 1 head
- Veggie broth, 1 cup
- White wine, 1 cup
- Garlic cloves, 2-3, crushed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive tapenade, 1/2 cup (I used Trader Joe's)
- Olive oil (first cold press/EVOO), 1/4 cup
- Lemon, juice of 1/2
- Parsley, 6 sprigs, chopped finely
- Clean head of cauliflower and remove leaves and bottom of stem. Place bottom down on cutting board and carefully slice into one inch slices. It will be messy. Save scraps for a later time.
- In a microwave safe dish, combine the broth, wine, and garlic. Add in the slices of cauliflower. Spoon the liquid over the cauliflower. Microwave, covered, on high for 3 minutes. Remove, baste, repeat again. Remove and drain liquid.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat. Add in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Carefully place the slices of steamed cauliflower. Allow to brown. Flip and brown other side. Add in more oil as needed.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive tapenade with 2 tablespoon olive oil with the lemon juice.
- On a platter, arrange the browned cauliflower slices, drizzle the olive tapenade sauce down the middle, and garnish with a flurry of the chopped parsley.
This is part of Food Network's Fall Feast. Check out The FN Dish. This week we're focusing on cauliflower. On twitter, we're tagging #FallFest. Here’s the link to our Fall Fest Pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/foodnetwork/lets-pull-up-a-chair/ Other amazing cauliflower recipes to try out from our other friends:
The Lemon Bowl: Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken with Cauliflower
Feed Me Phoebe: Vegan Cauliflower Soup with Red Curry
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Hash Brown Cauliflower and Potatoes
The Cultural Dish: Cauliflower and Leek Soup
Dishing with Divya: Gobi Manchurian
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Smokey Cauliflower Soup with Parmigiano-Reggiano
Red or Green: Cauliflower and Peppers Pasta with Spicy Pesto
Swing Eats: Cauliflower T-Bone Steaks with Olive, Lemon and Parsley
Dishin & Dishes: Curried Cauliflower Chowder
Domesticate Me: Three Cheese Cauliflower Gratin
Weelicious: Vegetarian Tagine
Devour: 5 Reasons to Make Cauliflower Immediately
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Cauliflower Breadsticks
Taste With The Eyes: Spiced Roasted Cauliflower with Walnut, Cilantro, Mint
FN Dish: Reasons to Reconsider Cauliflower (recipes)