'Tis the season for pumpkin. Pumpkin everything. Nope, it doesn't get old for me. My only pet peeve about pumpkin recipes is that only a portion of the can of pumpkin is used. Then, I have the remainder go to waste in my fridge. I figured not matter what, I was going to develop a pumpkin recipe using one whole can. Why not use it for waffles? I like to make a big batch of waffles, individually wrap them, and heat as needed for a breakfast on the go. I try my best to make my waffles as nutrient dense as possible. Almond flour works great in waffles. And separating the eggs, adding in whipped eggs whites makes for a fluffy texture.
Pumpkin Almond Spice Waffles (gluten-free)
- Eggs, 3 large, room temperature, separated
- Sugar (white or brown), 3/4 cup
- Pumpkin Puree, 1 15oz can
- Almond flour, 1 cup
- All-Purpose Gluten-Free flour, 1 cup
- Salt, 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon, 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon
- Nutmeg, Ginger, Allspice, 1/2 teaspoon each
- Cloves, 1/4 teaspoon
- In a medium/large mixing bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, whip the egg yolks with the sugar until homogeneous. Add in the pumpkin puree, followed by the almond flour, AP GF flour, salt, and spices. Gently fold in the whipped egg whites in three increments.
- Have the waffle iron heated to medium, medium/high. Cook for a total of 6-7 minutes, maybe longer depending on size of waffles. Remove and allow to cool on rack.
- If storing in freezer - individually wrap in plastic wrap, and keep in freezer. To reheat, place in toaster (oven) on medium/high.
- Otherwise, serve with a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds and maple syrup. Feel free to add bacon as needed.
This is part of Food Network's Fall Feast. Check out The FN Dish. This week we're focusing on pumpkin. On twitter, we're tagging #FallFest. Here’s the link to our Fall Fest Pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/foodnetwork/lets-pull-up-a-chair/ Other amazing pumpkin recipes to try out from our other friends:
Feed Me Phoebe: 7 Healthy Pumpkin Recipes for Fall
The Lemon Bowl: Pumpkin Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies (Gluten-Free)
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Oat Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Bacon and Souffle: Easy Pumpkin Bundt Cake
Weelicious: Quick Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Virtually Homemade: Gluten-Free Dark Brownies with Pumpkin Frosting Devour: Eat As Much Pumpkin As Possible
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Pumpkin and Chocolate Chip Cake
Red or Green: Spiced Pumpkin Waffles with Maple Syrup Glazed Bacon Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies
The Cultural Dish: Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts
The Mom 100: Pumpkin Gingerbread with Crystallized Ginger
Haute Apple Pie: Pumpkin Bread Truffles
Domesticate Me: No-Bake Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites with Dark Chocolate Chunks (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
Swing Eats: Pumpkin Almond Spice Waffles (Gluten-Free)
FN Dish: Pumpkin Spice (and Everything Nice)
I Am Baker: Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow
Taste With The Eyes: Savory Little Pumpkins with Labneh, Zaatar and Pumpkin Seed Oil