Thai Coleslaw



I love mayonnaise and anything mayonnaise based.  However, it doesn't serve me well when I'm watching my weight.  Obviously, I'm a sucker for traditional coleslaw.  This time,  I wanted to come up with a healthier version that was packed with flavor and texture.  Recently, I rediscovered my little recipe book, "Art of Thai Cooking," from a cooking class I took while in Thailand.  I immediately went to the green papaya salad.  Hey, that's like a coleslaw.  I'll just make substitute out ingredients for those that are more traditional to coleslaw and readily available at the average American grocery store.  This is a simple recipe, yet complex with the traditional four components of Thai cuisine: salty from the fish sauce; sweet from brown sugar; tart from lime juice; and slightly spicy with chili sauce.  Feel free to swap out ingredients, like using red cabbage for green cabbage; and green papaya or any fruit for mango.

Thai Coleslaw
Ingredients:
  • garlic, 1-2 cloves, minced
  • chili sauce, 1 teaspoon
  • fish sauce, 1 tablespoon
  • brown sugar, 1 teaspoon (or palm sugar)
  • cabbage, 1/2 head, shredded
  • mango, 1, peeled and cut julienne
  • green onions, 2 stalks, chopped fine
  • cilantro, handful, chopped fine
  • roasted peanuts, 2 tablespoons, chopped course
Directions:
  1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the garlic, chili sauce, fish sauce, and brown sugar.
  2. Add the cabbage and mango, mix well.
  3. Add in the green onions, cilantro, and peanuts (reserving a little for garnish) and mix well, yet carefully.
-Erin Swing
Swing Eats

This is part of Food Network's Sensational Sides Feast. Check out The FN Dish.  This week we're focusing on coleslaw.  On twitter, we're tagging #SummerSoireeHere’s the link to our Summer Soirée Pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/foodnetwork/lets-pull-up-a-chair/  Other amazing coleslaw recipes to try out from our other friends:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Long John Silver's Style Fried Chicken Planks (gluten-free)

Spooky Halloween Buckeyes